How do I install my GO connected car device?
The GO is a connected car device. It is installed into the on-board diagnostics (OBD-II) port in your electric vehicle. It gathers data directly from your vehicle’s internal systems, processes it, and makes it available to you via a web portal. With it, electric vehicle drivers gain access to information about their car, like driving efficiency, battery health, miles per gallon equivalent, and more.
Once you have received the GO Device, please follow the steps below to activate it prior to installation in your vehicle:
- Take note of the GO Device Serial Number (eg. G# – ### – ### – ####), which can be found on the bottom of the device, or on the device box.
- Navigate to the SmartCharge Rewards (SCR) user portal. The web address for your program account is listed on the installation instructions provided with your GO device shipment. If you cannot find the sign-in address for your program, follow the below steps:
- Go to https://www.smartchargerewards.com/sign-in
- Select your program from the left navigation panel.
- Sign in to the SmartCharge Rewards (SCR) user portal. If you have yet to create a SmartCharge Rewards account, click on the ‘Create a new account’ link located under the ‘Log In’ button. If prompted, enter the email address that you used to apply to the program and choose your authentication method (Google, Facebook or create a password) to create your account.
- Once logged in, you will be prompted to activate your GO device. On the ‘Activate Device’ page, enter the GO Serial Number that you noted in Step 1.
- Install your GO device into your EV, using the installation instructions included in the FAQ or your welcome package.
Model specific installation instructions will be mailed with your GO device or found in the FAQ. You can also follow the general steps below:
Your package should have included a GO Device and Cable Tie.
Part I: Installing the GO Device
- Remove the GO Device from its box. Retain the box for future reference to the GO Serial Number.
- Locate the OBD-II port in your vehicle. This port is usually located in the area between the steering wheel and the pedals, but can vary by vehicle model. The OBD-II port is trapezoidal in shape, as pictured below.
- Once located, insert the GO device into the OBD-II port and press firmly to ensure a secure connection. Refer to ‘Part II: Confirming the GO is Operational’ below, to confirm the device is working as expected before proceeding to secure the device.
Note: If you’re having trouble locating the OBD-II port, see “Where is my OBD-II port?” under Frequently Asked Questions -> Troubleshooting. Model specific instructions will be mailed with your GO device, and can also be found in the left navigation panel of this FAQ.
Part II: Confirming the GO is Operational
After you install the device, please ensure that the LED lights are indicating the GO device is working:
- All three LEDs on the GO device will flash briefly. During the 5-minute setup process, the device may also beep repeatedly as it updates to the latest settings.
- Wait until you see all three LEDs are solid
- Red – Power / Device Configuration
- Green – Cellular Network Connectivity
- Blue – GPS Network Connectivity
- If all three LEDs turn solid, the unit has connected successfully.
Note: If one or more of the LEDs is still flashing, please refer to the following sections under Frequently Asked Questions -> Troubleshooting:
- “What do I do if the Red LED on my GO will not go solid?”
- “What do I do if the Green or Blue LED on my GO will not go solid?”
Part III: Securing the GO device
It is recommended for most vehicle models to secure the GO device to the OBD-II port with a cable tie as shown below. If you are unable to use the cable tie in your particular vehicle model, rest assured that FleetCarma will notify you via email if any issues are detected with the connection of your device.
The installation is now complete.
Note: If you have not done so prior to installing your GO device, please ensure you have activated the device in your SmartCharge account (Refer to “Activating the GO Device” in the FAQ).